Monday, October 29, 2007



A California Buckeye tree gestures along a dirt pathway was my subject on last Sunday's outing. I am trying out a canvas panel that you can do watercolors and gouache on. It is very tricky as the watercolor brushes seem to be wasted by the thirsty surface of the canvas but offered some nice dry brushing transitions that I enjoy when I oil paint. This area also happens to be one of the only leash free dog trails in the county, so my luck would have it, every dog came by and sniffed my palette, studied my alien set up and sauntered along their with way with master at side. It's better though than the bee sting I got a couple weeks before in a similar spot.

The additional study is an invented doodle painting. I sort of do these to relax after painting outside. Gouache on a vellum finish bristol 4 ply card. The more reduced the color palette the more you can dance around with the density of the pigment and explore the dialog between paper and brush, something sorely lacking in digital painting.

9 comments:

Shane Pierce said...

fantastic work, thanks for the info as well!

Tolomuco said...

Perfect brush strokes!!!! Perfect color sheme!!!! I fall in love with your work!!!!

Project Pink Suitcase said...

Very nice work as always!
You reminded me of a time when I was plein air painting in a grove of Sycamore trees. When I finished with my painting session, I noticed lots of bee activity around me, then realized that I was sitting almost directly under a bee hive. Luckily the bee hive was high up in the tree and the bees were too busy to pay attention to me. I was so into my painting I didn't notice the bees until after I finished painting. Once I did notice them, I got out of there in a hurry.
I agree that there is nothing better than getting out there and painting.

Ramsés Meléndez said...

The color and composition are fantastic!

Sho Masanao Katayama said...

i totally agree with the physical contact between brush and paper or canvas thing. irreplaceable.

Francis Vallejo said...

Great work!! I'm sorry if it's been answered before, but what size are these?
thanks and best of luck in future projects!
-francis

Nathan Fowkes said...

I especially like the quiet spots you paint. Beautiful.

Unknown said...

Erik, just wanted to say your paintings are beautiful. I love your studies. Have you ever taught painting classes before?

flaptraps said...

this last one is gorgeous! first time to your blog, i'm glad i found it.