Friday, April 15, 2011






Visited Pt. Lobos/Carmel area of California the past few days. What a wonderful spot to see the meeting of land and sea. I worked on a quick gouache sketch painting using Fabriano 'Artistico' cold pressed watercolor block paper (5"x7"). The paper had a strong coating of grey gouache from a previous painting-prep session, so this was nice to work on in the brighter sunlight. I painted thicker than usual and then finished with more watercolor touches and weak glazes. The Asilomar black and white sketch was created quickly using brush markers and a bit of pencil. I would like to take this further as a painting in the studio and work from these notes. I always suggest some kind of warm up thumbnail sketch to get a feel for the subject matter and potential framing before painting.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Awesome work. I am interested in your process of 'taking this sketch further as a painting in the studio'. The studio painting would become less rough, I suppose, so how do you fill in the details then? Is it from imagination? does it matter if the final painting does not look like the orginal subject anymore? I'd love to hear more about the descicions you make in that process...

Koen Ivens said...

always love your work - wish you would post more often - I'm always looking forward ...

E.Tiemens said...

Thanks Wouter & Koen!

Regarding taking the sketch further, I might do a quick digital painting (gasp!) and then do a gouache one to compare the process. Let me know if you would be interested to see that.

Best,

Erik

Domas said...

Hey Erik i love your quick tumbnails! It's interesting how you put down these so fast and they give a really clear understanding of what you trying to put down on the real work thats gonna come. Before i saw your work many years ago on a star wars dvd i never did tumbnails nor a work alike since i saw that bonus dvd and your tumbnailing of Geonosis planet got me inspired to try it out. Now i couldn't do it with out it. Great work on the water in the piece. The reflection is really nice, sunlight gives that extra realness to it. Another inspirational work for today...thank you for sharing.

domaz

allyson said...

I think your sketches are perfection.